Saturday, September 23, 2006

Talking with Katie

Well I mentioned in an earlier post that this weekend I would finally talk to my 8 year old daughter about having MS. Our older children knew but I was reluctant to tell Katie, at 8 I worried about scaring her, how she might feel about it, and what misinformation she might hear. For those of you who do not know Katie, well she a real "mother hen" and a Daddy's girl. Her caring goes quite deep. After I had surgery 6 years ago, Katie then 2, needed a nurse's set and proceeded to maul me back to health.

Anyway onto the conversation, she sat through very attentive wanting to understand, she asked about cures, what would happen and of course asked if my "wobbly bobbly jiggley wiggley" leg would always be like that. I am always proud of her but she handle everything quite well. She is of course worried about Dad. She now understands to check with Dad whenever she hears anything about MS(thanks Miss Chris I got this suggestion from you). She wants to attend an event for MS and has decided to be nurse that finds cures for things, of course first she going to cure MS. (although she is only 8 and last month she was going to be a vet , then a teacher) I'll keep you up to date on what cure she develops, I love being a Dad...But I am not eating mudpies to cure this......Not even for my princess!

I guess once again my fears and prejudices were probably worse than those of the people around me. Thanks again Katie!! You continue to teach your father all about the good things in life! So difficult for an 8 year old to keep this foolish man on the right path.( yes Katie knows I am blogging about our talk and yes she will be reading it)love you baby girl!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Friday's Child said...

Sometimes when parents talk about their children I don't understand ... perhaps because I've never had children. However I do understand the connection between daddy and baby girl. She definitely sounds like a precious precocious princess. Honestly, I think she took it better than my 54 year old husband.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Have myelin? said...

Glad I found your blog!

I love the idea of Katie's nurse kit, all our children respective of ages should get one. Perhaps I'll get my adult children one for Christmas. Heh.

I added your blog to my links. Hope that was ok!

8:16 AM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Glad it all worked out. Some day, my 4yr olds will get the real-deal on why Daddy does not, but desperatly wants to pick them up every time they ask.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

I'm so glad I could help. Kids can really handle a lot of information. I was so relieved after that, that I could stop hiding it in my own house, and I'm so glad you were able to have that talk. Even the stuff we try to hide from our kids...I think they can sense it.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home