Friday, October 06, 2006

MS and stress !

Have not posted in awhile, life's rollercoaster has been crazy the past few weeks! There is so much going on here right now, and that brings me to my biggest problem with MS! My doctors have warned me about stress, and I have read everywhere what a negative effect stress can have on people in general, but the impact is even greater on MSer's. Which brings me to the most hateful part of this disease for me personally, when those around me need me the most, I am at my worst! This disease is a sick practical joke and this week I felt like the punch line and the punching bag!
There I ranted and feel better for it! I will not take you through all the curves and twist of my life the past couple of weeks, but its been very draining. I am much better now and survived the storms without any real horror stories, just a few MS flare ups. I have tried to limit myself, and control and manage stress better and for the most part have been successful. For the first time(with MS) though life took some real scary twists, and I did not handle them all that well. I let some people down, people who I care deeply for and whets worse some of them blame themselves for my flare ups!
So here is where I am at today with all this, life will be a roller coaster sometimes, and most times that will effect all of us in some negative way or another. I can not help what MS does to me and only try to get better at managing my life around it. I am glad the roller coaster seems to have coasted to a stop, I am thankful for the love and support of my family and friends. I have raised my commitment to living healthy, eating better, and taking all my supplements so that when the roller coaster starts again I'll be ready! OH and posted here seems to be somewhat therapeutic! So look for more rants!

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Chris said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've had a rough time of it lately. I hope you are doing better now?
I love the way you said the M.S. is like a practical joke. It's basically like a no win situation some of the time. Do you ever feel guilty when you feel sick? I do even though I know it's not my fault.I just can't help it.
I'm glad you're back posting again!

1:47 PM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Yeah, stress is a killer even if you don't have MS. Your mind is so active but the tools for it are rusted and siezed up. The hardest part is learning to say 'No'.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Charles-A. Rovira said...

Stress is the enemy of all MSers.

You should take no prisoners. :-)

Screaming demonically and running around while flapping your arms frantically is good for stress relief.

Venting is less good, but better than nothing.

Giving somebody a dirty look is only good if you can also follow it with an exasperated, audible sigh. (Going for guilt only works with family. People just don't care anymore nor do they have any sense of shame.)

Squaring your shoulders and, in a calm and clear voice, without a trace of anger in your tone, telling some damn fool exactly and specifically what he can do with whatever the Hell s/he is doing thay's bothering you, is surely best.

Don't berate. Don't be angry. Just tell 'em that they are a minor irritant and that, like all minor irritants, they can be crushed and stomped into oblivion without your having to be involved in the actual commission of the assault and battery.

That's what friends, like Guido and Li'l Slugger, are for.

Then smile at them and wait for the next move.

It will usually be them moving quickly away.

(Yes, I have a very rich and satisfying inner life. :-)

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home